Choosing the right back brace when you’re in pain is essential to getting back on your feet. The best back brace is tailored to your individual needs, has adjustable straps, and can fit snuggly without being uncomfortable.
In this guide, we ranked and reviewed the 11 best back braces and my top 3 choices for lower back pain relief that are on the market in 2022.
Choosing the best back brace can be difficult as dozens of options exist. When choosing the best back brace to support your lumbar spine or sacroiliac joint, consider size, adjustability, and type of brace.
Customer service is also essential; being able to return quickly and chat or talk to a customer service rep is critical to ensuring you have the best option.
We’ll also compare:
- The best back brace for activity
- The best back brace for pregnancy
- The best back brace for plus size
- The best back brace for versatility
- The best back brace for low back pain with sciatica
- The best budget-friendly back brace
- The best back brace to wear for activity
- The best back brace for sitting and driving
- The best back brace for pain relief
- The best back brace for sacroiliac joint
- The best back brace for postpartum
Let’s get started.
What is the best back brace for lower back pain relief?
A back brace is a quick and easy way to relieve back pain. However, there are many other options for natural back pain relief that, combined with extra support for your low back, can provide significant relief. Exercises and stretches also provide comfort and pain relief. There is also evidence of back pain and muscle aches after Covid.
A medical professional should constantly evaluate you if you have back pain, which can indicate a more severe problem.
Here are my top picks for the best back braces for lower back pain relief.
Best overall – Bionic™ Reel-Adjust Back Brace by DonJoy Performance
The Biotic Reel-Adjust Back Brace is our top pick. Low-profile back support has removable rigid panels and supports the entire lumbar spine. In addition, the Biotic Reel-Adjust utilizes their Boa Fit System, a series of pulleys to create tension and provide significant compression through the lumbar spine.
Why we like it:
We are fans of the compression with lumbar support. This will provide a sense of security and takes the pressure off the lumbar spine structures that are injured, allowing them an opportunity to heal.
- Removable rigid back stabilizers to adjust support
- Low-profile design
- Vented back panel for breathability
- Boa Fit System for quick adjustments and secure fit
- Easy to put on and easy to take off
- The compression aspect of the brace may aggravate some conditions
- Not suitable for sacroiliac joint pain
- Limited sizing
- It doesn’t fit under clothing well
Price – $170.99 at DonJoy Performance
Common conditions causing back pain
Before we continue with our list of best back braces, let’s take a look at some of the common conditions that cause back pain. Back braces are meant to provide additional support and should not be used as a long-term strategy for back pain.
Common uses for back braces include:
- Acute back pain management
- Extra support during activities and exercise
- Support during work-related activities
Several common conditions can be helped with back braces. However, it is essential to seek professional medical advice before using any back brace or starting any home treatment for pain.
- The following diagnoses may require the use of a lumbar back brace:
- Lumbar degenerative disc disease
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Osteoarthritis of the spine
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis
- Herniated disc
- Facet joint syndrome
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Pregnancy-related back pain
These are just a few examples, so consult with your doctor or medical professional if you have any questions about whether or not you should use a back brace.
Let’s continue with the list.
Best for pregnancy – Upsie Belly® Pregnancy Support Band
We love this company. Belly Bandit is one of our top recommendations for pregnancy, postpartum, and any support specific to women.
The Upsie Belly Pregnancy Support Band is a maternity support belt that will adjust throughout your pregnancy. It has a pocket for a hot/cold pack and includes the box! In addition, it provides lumbar support and is an adjustable back brace.
The women at Belly Bandit have a sizing chart to ensure the proper fit while you move throughout your pregnancy.
Support: Light to medium
- Eligible for health insurance coverage, FSA and HSA eligible
- Stabilizes pelvis and alleviates pain
- Able to wear during exercise
- Comfortable and soft fabric made from bamboo
- Includes hot/cold gel pack to add pain relief
- Adjustable up to 12 inches
- Customized “Find Your Size” tool to get the right size
- Helps support bladder
- Sizing might not fit all moms
- It might be a little uncomfortable when sitting for long periods
Price: $69.99 at Belly Bandit
Best for activity – Saunders S’Port All Back Support with Shorts
The Saunders S’Port, All Back Support with Shorts, is a nifty product. It is designed for back support while staying active. The brace is attached to athletic compression shorts to provide a stay-in-place guarantee.
Support: Light to medium
- Adjustable mount with removable double side pulls
- Price match guarantee
- Money-back guarantee
- Gender-specific for optimal fit
- Designed to help with vigorous activity
- Lumbar and sacroiliac joint support
- Available in white only
- You can only wear underclothes
- Not available in plus size
Price: $69.99 at Better Braces
Best for plus size – Braceability’s Plus Size Back Brace
Braceability is a fantastic company, and they make solid products. Their Plus Size Back Brace is designed specifically for the big and tall population, and the sizing range is XL to 6XL.
- Tapered design allows for full support and comfort
- Fits waist sizes up to 68.”
- Latex-free with breathable material for use with exercise and everyday activities
- Able to wear underclothing
- Extra help available with removable aluminum stays
- Extra help with double-pull elastic tension for additional compressive support
- Reasonable price
- It may be challenging to put on individually
- Difficult for shorter torso
- Small window for returns
Price: $39.99 at Braceability (sale at the time of writing)
T Shellz Wrap is a compression wrap used for multiple purposes. It can be used as back support but also knee and hip brace. The design of this sports wrap allows it to provide you with the best possible comfort and performance by enhancing circulation to tissues, providing them with the needed nutrients and oxygen to help accelerate specific metabolic processes.
- Provides additional pain relief through high wave frequency
- Improves circulation and blood flow
- Able to use on multiple body parts
- Comfortable, soft material
- It supports the normal healing process
- Numerous settings for custom pain relief
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- One-year warranty coverage
- FDA Registered Class II Medical Device
- It needs a power source
- Limited ability to move around
- Limited sizing (up to 50 inches)
Price: $129.99 at MendMeShop
Best budget-friendly – Ober Health Breathable Brace
The Ober Health Belt is made of breathable knit fabric, and the inside is made of latex-free soft foam. It can effectively relieve lumbar pressure caused by compression and reduce waist circumference. The belt has a removable heating pad for summer and winter, which can be used to heat the lower back during cold weather or warm up the lower back before exercise. In addition, the double-layer group pressurization design effectively reduces pressure on the waist, bringing a full range of motion.
- Suitable for short torsos (7.5 inches)
- It can be worn throughout the day and with activities
- Adds gentle compression for stability and pain relief
- It can be worn over and under clothing
- Good support at a reasonable price
- 60-day guarantee
- Smaller sizes (only up to 40″)
- Must be hand washed
- No additional stays or supports
Price – $49.99 at Ober Health
Best for seated and driving support – Backshield
BackShield is a lumbar support that reduces fatigue and lower back pain when sitting or driving. The BackShield provides superior comfort with the highest quality materials and construction. It’s designed to increase blood flow, reduce inflammation, and relieve pressure on your spine while driving and sitting. The result is less stiffness and soreness after long drives or work days.
- It fits any car, RV, truck, or office chair
- Allows for comfortable support while sitting
- Can bring anywhere
- Improves circulation and reduces inflammation
- Easy to clean
- Fits most people
- Cannot provide support when sitting or walking
- A little clunky to transport regularly
- It might feel a little discomfort initially
Price – $99.95 at Backshield
Best for low back pain with sciatica – Braceability
The Braceability Herniated Disc Back Brace provides maximum support and compression. The front and back panels are made of lightweight, heavy-duty plastic that is durable and impact-resistant. At the same time, the inserts are anatomically designed to support the natural curve of your spine. As a result, the material is comfortable and breathable, making it perfect for extended wear. In addition, this is a rigid back brace that provides correct posture and helps prevent further injury.
Support: Very supportive
- Designed specifically for low back pain with sciatica symptoms
- High level of support
- Reduces pressure within the disc through compression
- Compression helps reduce inflammation and improve healing
- Includes space for hot/cold pack
- Support the natural curve of the spine
- Medical-grade inserts
- Breathable material
- Very restrictive and difficult to move
- It can be challenging to put on
- It does not include a hot/cold pack
Price – $119.00 on Braceability (sale at the time of writing)
Best for pain relief – DonJoy Advantage EME Back Wrap
The DonJoy Advantage Back Wrap with ActiPatch® technology is clinically proven to help relieve pain. The wrap-around brace regulates the activity of sensitized nerves to help reduce abnormal pain signaling and produces 1,000 sensation-free electromagnetic pulses per second. The treatment area is within the loop. Universal sizing – one size fits most.
- Soft and comfortable material
- Provides short-wave therapy for pain relief
- Provides up to 720 hours of pain relief
- Easy to put on and off
- Supportive and flexible
- Limited size to 41 inches
- Short-wave therapy may not be appropriate for all patients
- Shorter length for less coverage area
Price – $64.99 at DonJoy
Best for sacroiliac joint support – Exos Form II 621
The Exos FORM II 621 SI Joint Support Brace by EXOS will help you when you are experiencing pain in your lower back and hips. This belt is designed to compress the sacroiliac joints while supporting the back, hip, and legs. The pulley system is easy to use, enabling you to fit the tension exactly as you need. Designed with a Diamond2 Grid™ construct for a more durable and longer-wearing brace, this belt delivers support with a low-profile design.
- Provides support for the sacroiliac joints, back, hip, and legs
- The Pulley system is easy to use, enabling you to fit the tension exactly as you need
- The diamond grid construct is more durable and long-wearing
- Low profile design delivers support without being bulky or intrusive
- The silicone grip prevents the support from riding up or down the back
- It May be challenging to put on and take off
- It May be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods
- Limited sizing
Price – $94.99 at Exos
Best for postpartum – Belly Bandit® Original Postpartum Belly Wrap
Belly Bandit is a postpartum belly wrap that helps you return to your pre-pregnancy shape faster! The Belly Bandit Original Postpartum Belly Wrap can be worn during pregnancy, after delivery, and while you are breastfeeding. This postpartum belly wrap will help tone your stomach muscles, support your back and ease discomfort from abdominal separation. It also allows for more mobility than traditional maternity clothes while helping you recover from the changes in your body.
- It helps to strengthen core muscles and provides back pain relief
- Promotes mobility
- Safe to wear during exercise
- Supports comfortably after C-section
- FDA-registered medical device
- FSA and HSA eligible
- Safe to wear while breastfeeding
- Available expander for larger bellies
- Extra cost for expander
- Very supportive and may be uncomfortable to sit
Price: $49.95 at Belly Bandit
If you are suffering from lower back pain, several different braces can help to provide relief. In this blog post, we have highlighted 11 of the best options on the market, ranging in price and features. So whether you need support for your sacroiliac joints or are looking for pain relief, there is an option on this list.
We hope this blog post has helped you find the perfect brace for your needs. Check out more great information at The